Thursday, July 29, 2010

Beyond Sunday - You Don't Have What it Takes: You can't control the future

...by Larry Walker

Embracing the uncertain can be so difficult. I imagine you have to be strong in your faith to do it. Just when I think I have strengthened it, something even more uncertain comes along to test how strong it really is. Didn't Greg just hit the nail on the head when he talked about leaving the knowns behind that hold you back? Whether it's a relationship, a job, or habit... there is just something too comfortable about the certain. But, if we are to live a life that is full of Christ-like adventures, isn't it right for us to put it away and grow? Trusting God with our future instead of snuggling in with our old comfortable certainties is something Jesus calls us to do.

I thought later that night about two nineteenth century families from Holland that chose to embrace something uncertain and left everything they knew behind that kept them in that cozy comfortable safe place. They trusted in God's future for them and came over on a boat and decided to farm in the onion fields of Chicago. If these two sets of families would have chosen the safe path, my grandparents would have never met in that tiny one room school in South Holland back in 1925. As I was kissing my daughters goodnight tonight, I thought about how grateful I was for those two families and their faith in letting God control their future. I wonder if they are smiling down from heaven when they look at what that one single "Trust Him": moment has evolved into over the past 150 years. Wouldn't you like to have your great great grandchildren be that grateful for your faith as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment