Monday, July 5, 2010

26. Israel's Disobedience (Judges 2:6-3:6).

by Beka Jackson 

So a couple things strike me as I read this passage. It's like a preview of the life of Israel. Time and time again, they worship God, their children forget about God, they worship other gods, make God angry, and then another nation takes them captive. When that happens, they suddenly remember God, cry out to Him, and He delivers them. Unfortunately, its a cycle, so it all starts over again. And again, and again, and again, and again...

So I mentioned a couple things really struck me as I read. The first is that "the children of the next generation knew neither the Lord nor what He had done." Really? That seems crazy! I am hundreds of generations removed from that group that walked across the Red Sea on dry ground and I know about it! I know about it because I had parents who made sure I knew about it. This passage just reminded me of the important role I have in the lives of my children teaching them about God and what He has done. How will they know if I don't teach them?
 
And then verse 15 almost sent chills down my back. It says, "Whenever Israel went out to fight, the hand of the LORD was against them to defeat them, just as he had sworn to them. They were in great distress." Can you imagine that hand of the Lord being against you? His incredibly strong, wise hand working against you? Not sure exactly what to do with that, but it was something that definitely caught my attention...

No comments:

Post a Comment