Thursday, July 15, 2010

Beyond Sunday - You DON’T Have What it Takes: You Can’t Please Everyone

...by Kevin DeBraal

Sometimes I wonder why I keep coming to Suncrest! It seems that every Sunday the message is prepared with me in mind. Just once I would like to sit back and say “No problem, I’ve got this one covered.”

All kidding aside this message does hit home. We live in a culture of expectations. And they come from every conceivable direction - work, home, personal, etc. I think most of us also have grown up trying to meet those expectations. It is very easy to become over-committed, to be overly concerned about being “politically correct” and eventually totally lost in a world of trying to please everyone.

This message like so many others brings me back to basics and causes me to re-evaluate my situation. Greg asked “Who is God in your life?” I thought where is God in my people-pleasing, meeting-expectations life? He’s in there someplace but can I honestly say He is the focal point? Regrettably I can’t.

So what do I do now? Awareness is not enough; there must be a reorganization of priorities and behavior to direct my attention to pleasing God. The concept of the jury box is very helpful because I know that if I select the right jury, those whose expectations are aligned with God’s, my focus will ultimately be pleasing to God.

It’s ironic, as I think about who should be my jury, that some are the people that got less of my attention hoping that they would understand. I guess I was hoping the same from God. This is another wake up call and opportunity to strengthen my relationship with Him. Time to get started …..

p.s. I’ll be back next Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment