Thursday, July 8, 2010

Beyond Sunday - God... and the USA?

...by Jeff Sanford

When you hear the word America, what images come to your mind? Do you think of the American flag, the Statue of Liberty, the country’s beautiful landscapes, the American military, or maybe even the opportunities and freedoms that are available here which so many others don’t enjoy?

I don’t know about you, but despite all these wonderful things, I’m not exactly the most patriotic person. I love so many things about this great country, but for me, it’s often hard to look past the terrible images and corruption that I see on the news nearly every night that make me think otherwise. But on Sunday, Greg said something that made me do some thinking. He said to make sure that we are grateful for the things that we are reaping which we did not sow.

Goodness! I can think of lots of things in America which I am reaping and had no part in sowing. Unfortunately, I often take these things for granted. I enjoy the security of living in a land that is protected by men and women who have given and will give up their lives and years with their families for the protection of our country. I enjoy the benefits of living in a country with an educational system that strives to develop the skills, abilities, and intellect of its students. I enjoy the right to vote, to run for office, and to express opinions on the happenings in this country. I enjoy the right to worship Jesus without the fear of persecution or restriction by the government. And these are just a few of the many things I have to be grateful for. And all of these freedoms and opportunities I enjoy are the result of the hard work and sacrifice of many who came before me. So today, I’m choosing to look past all that has discouraged me about this country and to be grateful to all of those who came before me, those who have sown that which I am now reaping.

No comments:

Post a Comment