Monday, July 12, 2010

31. Samuel Listens to God (1 Samuel 1:1-3:21)

By Mary Elizabeth Robertson


I can't be the only person who has ever doubted whether or not God is even listening to me talking to Him. Can I? I mean, it seems that I should put in my request, He should listen and then promptly answer. He's even free to take my advice and tips on my stunningly well-thought-out, pre-approved answers. I can get really lost within a situation that seems to be without any answer or reply, and I'm ashamed to admit it. But when I stand up out of my soup of questioning and doubt and dissatisfaction to look back at God's track record in my little life, questioning and doubt and dissatisfaction become laughable because it is crystal clear that our God has proven Himself to be a God of response in my life.

Response can have many faces, though. That's the tricky part for me. Who wants to wait? Who wants to be stretched? Who wants all that
work? God does. He sees the big picture. He is the perfect Father who not only wants to give us the desires of our hearts but who also wants what is absolutely best for us --- whether we can see it or not. I KNOW that God is my perfect Father. I am encouraged that His purpose of growing "fruit" out of my humble life is what He's been doing, and doing well, for quite some time now. What patterns of request/listening/response did you see within Hannah's, Samuel's and Eli's lives? I bet it was something that you can relate to. I bet there's a reason for that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment