Thursday, September 16, 2010

Beyond Sunday - Journey: Team Sport

...by John Stas

“You can do it, we can help”…those words sure do resonate with me. We have lived in our home for 23 years and during that time my wife and I have tackled quite a few home improvement projects. I am pretty adept at working around the house so most of the improvements were do-it-yourself jobs. We have finished the basement, remodeled the kitchen, built a front porch, refinished the hardwood floors, remodeled the laundry room, built two decks in the backyard, replaced all of the windows, replaced the roof---twice and I can’t count how many times the walls have been painted. Wow! No wonder I’m tired.

With every project we tackled we were able to assess the job at hand, and we were smart enough, in most cases, to seek the help and expertise of others to allow us to get the job done right. Greg’s message drove home that same point. No matter how inadequate we feel about talking with our “one” we have the resources at our disposal necessary to get the job done…if we seek them out.

The best assistance I received on my home projects came when I sought the help of a friend or relative who had already done what I was attempting to do. In engaging our “one” that approach is also a sound one. The idea of a partnership between me, the church, and God makes all the sense in the world. I’m the only one who can tell the story of how Jesus has influenced my life. The church and other Christ followers have experiences that I can draw on, but God is ultimately responsible for changing my “one’s” heart. Home Depot’s advertizing encourages the do-it-yourselfer to stop putting off their projects and get started. Good advice! “You can do it, we can help.”

No comments:

Post a Comment