Thursday, September 2, 2010

Beyond Sunday - Journey: Only God

...by Kevin DeBraal

“Being used by God to change lives”.

At Suncrest this is our mission. It is accomplished in many ways. Through service, testimony, financial contributions, relationships, etc. Those are the areas where I am most comfortable. Reaching out to the seeker or those who do not know God is more difficult for me. I think I have the typical resistance due to hesitations related to how people will react to me. How will they respond? Will they ask questions I can’t answer? Will they reject me and my approach? Will I pick the right time to approach them? What if I fail?

Greg taught us to identify the “One” whom we could engage and bring the message of Christ’s love and redemption. He taught us that we should pray for the interaction we would have. One question he asked was “Do I believe prayer actually has an effect?”. I believe God has answered my prayers. I have experienced it and seen it in retrospection. I always have a vision of how God should respond to my prayers; He obviously has a different perspective, plan, and vision. I accept that because in the end I believe He has a plan far beyond my comprehension.

So this week I will trust in God and the power of prayer. I will pray to identify my “One” I will pray for God to “affect” that person so that they might be responsive to me. I will pray that I will recognize the opportunity that is presented for me to engage my “One”. I will pray very hard that I can overcome my “hesitations”.

Finally I will embrace that Only God “makes things grow” and that my interaction is just the planting of a seed or watering of the plant. That takes off some of the pressure that leads to the hesitance. I hope you will join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment