Thursday, September 9, 2010

74. Sharing the Word (Acts 8:26-40).

by Lynn Barbee

God has such a sense of humor. Or timing. When I saw that the assignment I had been given for this blog was Acts 8:26-40, I had to smile. August 26 (8/26 for the numerically minded) was the day I was baptized in 1971 at the tender age of… (mumbles something) whatever I was. I was a young sophomore in high school, and met a girl who became my best friend and is still one of my closest friends to this day. She invited me to attend church youth group with her, and the rest is history. I was baptized at Camp LRCA , which was in Cedar Lake back then, and my life has never been the same. I always say my life changed, not only for the hereafter, but for the here and now. I grew up in an alcoholic home, and my dad died when I was still young. I was headed for a life of going my own way. I can only imagine the path my life would have taken if someone had not opened the Book with me!

I remember sitting at a big table in the basement of the First Church of Christ in Whiting in the Sundays before that monumental decision. The youth group leaders and other teens would answer my questions…and there was this huge black Bible…. how could I understand, unless someone explained it to me? I had been a Christian all my life, but had never even learned how to look up a Bible verse. On August 26, 1971, I went from Christian to Christ-follower, and have never looked back. What a wonderful journey it’s been!

We all have the responsibility to share what Christ has done in our lives, and we all can tell what we know. You might not be the Bible scholar you want to be, but like the teens in my high school youth group, share what you know. I saw the difference in their lives. You and I have the potential to let God use us to change lives as well; I pray that we will let him to do that!

No comments:

Post a Comment