Thursday, September 23, 2010

84. Rejoice In the Lord (Philippians 4:4-9).

by Wesley Blackburn

To me, Philippians 4:4-9 is one of the passages in the Bible that has the most to say to how I live my life and to provide the peace that God wants us to have through Jesus Christ. Paul's advice here has an incredible bearing upon our lives and I know that if we apply what Paul says here, it could totally revolutionize the way our lives look.

For me, though, the biggest thing we learn from this passage is the importance of us not worrying. Worry is an absolutely destructive force in our lives. When we worry, stress, fret, and fear, we can feel like we are living an absolutely miserable life. Things fall apart. Every waking moment is spent thinking about what is going wrong or what could go wrong. It is rough. It's also consuming.

Paul advises, though, instead of us worrying, we should pray. We need to come to God first with our problems, with our issues, and with the things that are weighing us down. Paul assures that when we pray, we will discover an incredible peace that overtakes us and reminds us that everything will be okay; that God is still in control and still on His throne. We never have a reason to fear when we remember that God is in control and is working out all things for the good of His kingdom and His children! What's even better is that Paul doesn't put some limit on what we can pray about. Simply anything that is a concern can be brought to God, asking for His help and His provision. Several books in the Bible remind us of that awesome fact.

I know that recently, my life has went through a real season of worry. It's been rough. But I also know that (sadly) in my worry, I often don't take my concerns to God in prayer. But when I do, I know that somehow, someway, I experience a real peace. And that is wonderful, especially in seasons of worry. So keep praying! God is listening. And that gives us a great reason to rejoice in the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment