Thursday, June 3, 2010

Beyond Sunday - TXT: How to Read your Bible - The Gratitude

...by Kevin McHugh

Hello my friends. I am writing this on Memorial Day at 1:20PM, and there is a powerful thunderstorm blowing through St John as I sit down to write my reflection. Just a couple of things as I open up about this week's worship experience.

- My wife and I sat with the Kuhn's & the DeBraal's, so half of our community group was sitting together - very nice.

- I came in with a heavy heart as my brother is in the hospital 2000 miles away.

- I was really inspired to worship by the music - it hooked me immediately. Wes, Emily & company were pretty awesome, right?

Beka took us through Philippians 4:10-20 and recapped the entire message series. The things to keep in mind as we open our Bible include pace, posture, context, author's intent, background, key words, and genre - it was the way Beka emphasized posture that struck me during her message. Before I sit down and read, I need to take a second and consider that I am about to read the very word of God and that He is trying to tell me or teach me something.

One well known verse I am now thinking about in a different way is Philippians 4:13 - I can do everything through him who gives me strength....I've heard that and read that before many times and it means I can do anything if I put my faith and trust in God, right? Or does it mean that whatever I do, I should do it through my faith and through the lens of my God. That is an entirely different way to interpret that verse, and probably the right way.

Philippians 4:11 stuck with me as well....I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances... Here is Paul, who has suffered much while preaching the good news of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ. Yet he does not stop. In fact he continues no matter the troubles that come as a result. Why did he behave this way? Beka taught us that Paul was focused on heavenly things and had a forward looking attitude. For example:

"Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus" - Philippians 3:13-14

No comments:

Post a Comment