Thursday, June 10, 2010

Beyond Sunday: One Prayer: Unstoppable - Selflessness

...by Beka Jackson

I came from a family of givers. Anything we had was available for anyone that needed it. I think we were maybe like that because we had been on the receiving end so many times; we wanted to do the same for anyone else whenever we could. So the idea of giving to people in need isn't so hard for me to wrap my head around, to want to do. I find joy in giving to those who are in need. But what was tough for me to hear was the idea of giving each day.

Greg talked about husbands loving their wives like Christ loves the church. The idea of giving your life for someone you love isn't hard for most people. But the idea of giving myself each day, dying to my own wants and demands so that I can give to others, now that is hard! Giving to four small children, a husband who hasn't been home all day (because he's been giving at work!), friends and neighbors who are going through trying times and just need to talk or receive encouragement. I can handle the physical giving. I enjoy doing that and when I think of giving things, I am comfortable with that. But it is so painful sometimes to give the things that can't be seen. And often times it seems those are the things that people need the most.

And so the challenge for me when I think of unselfishness, when I think of dying to myself and loving the way Christ loves, it's to find joy in the kinds of giving that I often can't see. How can I give to my friend going through a divorce? How can I continually show my husband and kids that I love them enough to give up my life each day for them?

No comments:

Post a Comment