Friday, June 4, 2010

5. The Tower of Babel (Genesis 11:1-9).

by Bobby Jackson

So my son is playing soccer right now. It is super fun to watch, not to mention hilarious. At any given time, I can see twenty children with green and white t-shirts chasing the elusive white and black ball around the field, and it is such a contrast to the professionals who know how to play their position and work together as a unified group (even if they are not as fun for me to watch).

I often underestimate how important unity is. I believe it is one of the most powerful forces in the Bible. Jesus prayed for it before He left this earth: “I pray that they may be one as You and I are one”; Paul stated it strongly in Philippians 2 saying, “make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose.” In the passage today, unity also seems to be the key. What strikes me about this passage is this statement/promise, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them.” Wow, really? If as one people speaking the same language, then nothing we plan to do would be impossible for us? I’d like to test that theory personally…I don’t think mankind has “spoken the same language” since then – literally and figuratively. What if there weren’t twelve church buildings within a one-mile radius of each other? What if every Christ follower spent their energies pulling in the same direction? Would “nothing they plan to do be impossible for them?” How could we test this and find out? I know I'd love to hear your thoughts on how this could look in our/your context.

No comments:

Post a Comment