Thursday, June 17, 2010

Beyond Sunday: ONE PRAYER Unstoppable-Opportunities

...by Jo Anne Stas

What is next for me? I’ve been thinking about that statement ever since Jared asked it on Sunday. He gave us a variety of possibilities ranging from taking small steps like reading our Bibles regularly to taking big steps like leaving the comfort of our own country to serve on a mission trip in a foreign land. The size of the possibility doesn’t matter. What matters is whether or not we are willing to take the next step. I know for me, I can tend to get caught up in the thinking about the next step. Thinking about whether or not I’m making the right decision or whether or not I’m following God’s will. I can even get caught up in praying about the decision; waiting to hear a definite answer from God before I make a move.

After struggling with next step decisions many times, I finally realized that I don’t have to have it all figured out and often times, I don’t have to have a definite answer from God because there are some next steps that I know if I take the step, it’s a good thing. It’s a good thing to regularly read my Bible and spend time in prayer. It’s a good thing to serve at my church and in my community. I can’t go wrong if I take steps in those directions. What makes some steps harder than others though, are the details of the decision; when I have to choose between two, often times, good things. Should I serve in this area or that? Should I help launch this campus or that? Should I send money to this ministry or that? No matter the decision, the uncertainty of the next step is where faith comes in. I know God is not asking me to figure everything out. If He was I wouldn’t need Him. He’s asking me to step out in faith and let Him figure out the details. Instead of being paralyzed with indecision, I have to say, “Lord, I’m not sure if this is what you want, but I’m willing to try.” Sometimes I step in the right direction, sometimes I don’t. But every time I learn something.

“I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.”
1 Timothy 4:7-8

No comments:

Post a Comment