Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Tools for the Next Steps.

Something special happened on Sunday.

And for some of you reading this, that something special happened to you.

Baptism is an awesome thing. I made that decision on July 25, 2002 and I can still remember the decisions and conversations leading up to that. I can still remember the feeling of going under the water in Spartanburg, SC and coming up knowing that I had made the right decision with my life and that I was finally, truly a follower of Christ. No doubt, for those of you who made decisions (heck, even for those of us who watched others make decisions!), you will never forget the date February 7, 2010, nor should you. That day is extremely special and is going to be one that becomes a defining point for each of us and for our church.

But in the excitement of baptism, I definitely don't want you to lose sight of always staying focused on taking next steps. So, today, I thought I would throw out a few tools and opportunities available to you in order to continue moving forward in your decision to be a Christ follower!

This is going to sound like a "well, duh" suggestion, but I think the easiest way to continue on in your walk as a Christ follower is through reading the Bible regularly. This is a habit that I wish I had built into my schedule long ago, because it's so invaluable in my relationship with Jesus. I believe that God's Holy Spirit is living and active, and that when I read the Bible that God's Spirit inside of me is going to nudge at my heart and soul, showing me places where God desires for me to grow. If you don't have a Bible to use (or the only Bible you own is that 2,000 lb. King James Version one that you keep on a coffee table at Christmastime), give us a call here at Suncrest (365-9000) and we'd love to hook you up with a Bible that is easy to read and understand (and doesn't weigh 2,000 lbs. either). I also can't overstate the importance of developing a habit to pray each day. I know that prayer is often a way in which God has spoken to me and shown me changes that need to happen in my life. It's been extremely helpful in cultivating my relationship with Jesus.


There are also some Suncrest next steps you should take if you haven't already. Starting Point is a 5 week class we offer every few months that outlines who we are, what we believe, and offers great places for you to get connected with a group. The next Starting Point is offered starting on April 11. Speaking of groups, a community group is a great place to get connected in relationships with other folks from Suncrest, and is just a great place to make friendships, talk about life, and figure out how to follow Jesus together. For info on Starting Point or getting into a community group, contact Cindy Barker at cindy.barker@suncrest.org. The Discovery Seminar is a class Suncrest offers in order to help you figure out where God has gifted you to serve, so that you can find a place to contribute within God's kingdom. The next Discovery Seminar will be offered March 14. For more info, contact David Vineyard at david.vineyard@suncrest.org.

Hope that helps! If you are interested in more info, or even just meeting with someone to talk about next steps in your relationship with Jesus, let us know! We'd love to talk with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment