Thursday, February 11, 2010

Beyond Sunday - Not a Fan: The Covenant

...by Michael Switzer

Last Sunday was the first time I’ve ever cried in church. While so moved, there seemed to be no other appropriate reaction to witnessing so many people’s lives changed. After the service, I was speechless. The entire car ride home was virtually silent. Something inside of me (and no doubt in hundreds of other people) was disturbed. While person after person, fully dressed and fully committed, stepped into the baptistery, challenging thoughts captured me: Am I ‘all in?’ When was the last time I expressed a renewal of my vow with Jesus? Should I be re-baptized? Why not? An impression was made deep inside. Struggling to not cry, I found peace and comfort in one phrase: ‘Impression without expression leads to depression.’ Oh, so it is ok to express ourselves when captivated by an impression. How does this relevantly relate to the service? As we consider baptism as an expression, the Holy Spirit moves us and creates an impression on us. We’re called to express our impression through baptism. After considering all of this, it was ok to cry.

80 people decided to express their submission by taking the first step in their lives as a Christ follower. For 80 people, ‘beyond Sunday’ means just a little bit more this week than it did last week. For 80 people, the flood gates have opened and a journey until their earthly death has begun. So, what’s the next step?

To me, the short answer is to connect. Although ‘connect’ is one of the 4 Cs, I don’t want to take anything away from the other 3; however, as it relates to an effective immediate next step, connecting in relationships with other people where truth meets life can serve as a spring board to the other three. It did for me. Making the decision to follow Christ, in most cases, requires a shift in one’s paradigm, a modification and reevaluation of one’s life style, and most importantly the integration and metaphorical submersion of one’s life with the ‘body’ of Christ. Connecting with people who share spiritual maturity (or immaturity) while developing a wide support system gives us the accountability and support (and can I say energy?) necessary to the vitality of our journey. Small groups are an excellent source of this support. The small group I’m a part of has made a large impact on the person I’ve become over the last year and a half. I’ve heard it said that you’re the average of your five closest friends. To be able to effectively impact the lives of people who don’t follow Christ, among other things we need to be well grounded through our most important relationships and trust in those with whom we are closest.

Beyond last Sunday

As for the other 1000+ Christ followers who were baptized prior to last Sunday, let‘s take conscience actions to engage others who have recently begun their journey or are still asking the question ‘Why should I’? Just make a connection with someone. Amazing things happen through relationships.

P.S. Sometimes it’s really ok to cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment