Thursday, February 25, 2010

Beyond Sunday - The Jesus Mission: Our Mission

...by Kevin McHugh

As I start writing, I am reflecting on the Sunday service, but I am also reflecting back to other experiences at Suncrest and how I've grown to embrace our mission statement.

"Being used by God to change lives" - I love the beautiful simplicity, I love how our church leaders are completely sincere about it, and I love how our church family executes the mission. We are doing it all the time by inviting people, serving in the community, praying for people, giving of our resources, and in many other ways. Hey, weren’t there just a few baptisms recently??? On a personal note, it was a few Suncrest families like the Barker’s and the Kimberly’s who invited my family, prayed for us, and befriended us until the time came when we finally understood the truth and became Christ Followers - I thank God for these people and consider them my greatest friends.

Do you still have Acts 1:8 committed to memory? "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the Earth." This is our verse to keep top of mind as Suncrest lays out a bold move.

The verse from Acts compliments and builds on the mission statement of "Being used by God to change lives". I think it helps to look at these two statements together as we think about what we are embarking on.

What are we going to do? God will use us to change lives by bearing witness, praying, serving, loving others, and giving. (The 4 C's – Connect, Contribute, Cultivate, Care)
Why are we doing it? Jesus told us to, just before He ascended.
When are we doing it? Right now, silly. (1st attempt at humor)
Where are we going to do it? Weren't you paying attention people? (2nd attempt) - locally in Highland, regionally in South Bend, globally in Liberia.
How can we do it? We have received power from the Holy Spirit. We have our faith. We have each other.

Consider this everyone; God has laid out the groundwork already.
Doug Gamble is leading a thriving campus in Hobart, and St John has back filled with many great new people.
We prayed for, and sent off our Liberia mission team to go serve in many wonderful ways.
God has placed two great leaders in our church to take on campuses in Highland & South Bend.

For the Jesus mission, Greg told us that "Each one of us has a role" and that "Our response to this is huge". He's totally right and I am so glad I found this place.

See you Sunday and please keep praying for the Liberia mission team.

No comments:

Post a Comment