Friday, January 29, 2010

Beyond Sunday: Not a Fan - Relationship Status

...by Doug Gamble

What’s your relationship status with Jesus?

As I reflect on Sunday’s message it forces me to really consider where I am at on my journey with Jesus. I can honestly say that I am a follower of Jesus and am directing my life in the direction of Jesus. However, I recognize there are so many things that distract me from that purpose. I just read today in My Utmost of His Highest by Oswald Chambers this:

“The cares of this world will choke all that God puts in. We are never free from the reoccurring tides of this encroachment. If it does not come on the line of clothes and food, it will come on the line of money or not enough money. It is one steady encroachment all the time and unless we allow the Spirit of God to raise up the standard against it, these things will come in like a flood.”

To be a follower means you put Jesus first no matter what. And that is the standard that Chambers speaks of that will guard against the flood of things that want our heart, that want to be #1 in our lives but don’t ever satisfy. If we allow ourselves to “ride the fence” with Jesus we will go back and forth of placing him 1st. And that will simply not work for long.

Now this doesn’t mean that any of us are perfect at putting Jesus first anymore than the first disciples were perfect at it. But it does mean that we have to constantly do a gut check and ask ourselves what position Jesus has in our life. And if we can see he is not #1, then we take steps to put him back in his rightful position.

No comments:

Post a Comment