Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Reaching Out.

Well, I think here on the Cultivate blog for me to write today about anything other than Haiti would be a massive mistake on my part. If you're unaware of this story, you can read about it here.

What do we, as Christ followers, do in extreme moments of crisis like this? It hurts my heart knowing that there are other people in our world right now who are going through the most severe devastation possible... in the blinking of an eye, lives are changed forever because someone's family, friends, or even just possessions like a house are now all gone. It's almost like the type of calamity we read about in the book of Job; something terrible happening at no fault of the people living in Haiti. It's just incredible to me.

But one thing I do know; in times like these, Christ followers help. Christ followers love. In John 13:35, Jesus says that "by this, all men will know you are my disciples if you love one another." I don't know what that looks like for me yet, but I know that I am never more like Christ when I love, care, and reach out to the "least of these."

Sometimes the greatest way I can cultivate my personal relationship with Jesus is simply by doing what he says. And today, that means loving, praying, and caring for the people in Haiti.

(UPDATE: On Twitter, I just saw that if you text HAITI to 90999, you can donate $10 to Red Cross relief efforts in Haiti right out of your phone bill. For more info, go here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment