Thursday, January 7, 2010

Beyond Sunday (St. John Campus) - No Regrets

...by Kevin DeBraal

No Regrets?

Who doesn’t have regrets?

When we filled out the slips of paper with our regrets I was afraid I would run out of space!

I have had many regrets due to poor choices in relationships, in my reactions and responses to others and for a myriad of reasons. It’s easy to get caught up in regret; it can weigh you down and even distract you. You spend your time thinking about what you should have done or said, or wishing you could have a “re-do” and change the situation. Spending so much time thinking about the past and things you can’t change instead of living in the present.

Beka discussed Worldly Sorrow vs. Godly Sorrow and the difference between guilt connected to consequences vs. the realization of sin and desire to change. The “realization of sin and desire to change”, that’s the key. To let Godly Sorrow turn you around, to repent and change your behaviors. To leave your regrets of sin with God and move forward with a changed life.

I know that all sounds good but may be easier said than done. But why not try it? Does it really help to carry around the burden of sin and regret? This is all possible because Jesus died for our sins and in recognizing and accepting that we can rejoice in the Grace of God and his forgiveness.

I loved the symbolism of leaving our regrets at the cross, it will be a great reminder for me.
What would it be like to live a life without regrets? I’m going to try it, I’ll let you know!

Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death. 2 Corinthians 7:10

No comments:

Post a Comment