Thursday, December 3, 2009

West Campus Beyond Sunday - Waiting for God knows what

...by Kevin McHugh

The Waiting Room message series has been really good for me. I am a chronically impatient person and get very much wrapped in the "what and when" rather than focusing on my God - the "who." Can anyone relate with me?

Andy really had me thinking when he talked about how dangerous it is to get so caught up in what we are hoping for that it becomes our main focus. We transfer our hope from God to the "what" and the "when" that we are longing for. When I think about big things I have gone through in my life, and things loved ones have gone through, the issues can be huge and consuming. It can be hard to not become overwhelmed by the "what" and the "when."

There are things I am waiting for and I imagine some who read this have been waiting for something as well, perhaps for a long time.

I made some notes at the end of Andy's teaching regarding next steps:
1) Your waiting is about a when/where/what - sit down with God and talk to Him about it.
2) The thing you are waiting for; what would it look like if you truly trusted God? Any different?
3) What would you be willing to endure if you truly believed God was with you and truly for you?

Isaiah Chapter 40 says:

but those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

And now I know where one of my favorite worship songs comes from - Isaiah 40! If we can focus on the who, strength can actually rise while we wait on the what/when.

Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord
We will wait upon the Lord
We will wait upon the Lord
Our God, You reign forever
Our hope, our Strong Deliverer
You are the everlasting God
The everlasting God
You do not faint
You won't grow weary
Our God, You reign forever
Our hope, our Strong Deliverer
You are the everlasting God
The everlasting God
You do not faint
You won't grow weary
You're the defender of the weak
You comfort those in need
You lift us up on wings like eagles

Shameless plug for Wesley and the worship team - you were awesome!!

No comments:

Post a Comment