Thursday, December 10, 2009

Beyond Sunday - Let it be Christmas: Nothing's gonna change my world

...by Jo Anne Stas

“How well do you think you know who Jesus is?”

I’ve had different perceptions of who Jesus is at different times in my life. In my teens Jesus was the frizzy haired character with the Superman shirt and suspenders in Godspell. When I got engaged He was the figure I had to acknowledge to be married by a priest. When I had my first child, Jesus was the name she was baptized in. To me, Jesus was just tradition—someone to be recognized at key points in my life, but nothing more.

It wasn’t until I encountered people who seemed to really know who Jesus was, that I began to investigate Him for myself. Their lives were different in some way that I couldn’t put my finger on, but the difference made me feel like there was something missing in my life. I wanted to find out what the difference was, so I began to investigate who Jesus was. I read books like More than a Carpenter and I asked countless questions about this man who claimed to be God. What I discovered changed my world.

My perception of Jesus changed when I made an honest effort to find out who He really is. Jesus said, “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.” (Matthew 7:7-8) I pray this holiday season that Jesus would be more than a tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment