Thursday, December 3, 2009

East Campus Beyond Sunday - Waiting for God knows what

...by Larry McManus

Waiting…for God knows what. The service at East Campus begins with an uncomfortable silence at the close of communion. “I know Doug is preaching today”, I think to myself, “where in the world is he? It’s not like him to be late; he must have somebody out in the commons bending his ear while he missed his cue. Perhaps I should go and find him…..wait, oh there he is.” A well planned pause, Doug was in front the whole time just watching his clock for 60 seconds.

Just whose clock are we going by anyhow? When will we get X? or When will this be over? What is going to happen? These seem like fair questions. Yet they can become as Doug put it, “dangerous”, when we put stock or hope in our potential answers to these two questions. I found myself thinking about both of these questions last week in regard to some pretty big ‘life changing decisions’. The moment I start to firm up in my mind, the possible answers to these two questions, I begin to put God in a box, my box. Yet the heavenly Father gently reminds us that He is uncontainable and multi-dimensional.

Larry Burkett, founder of Crown Financial Services” once said, “God is never late, rarely early, but always on time.” So the real question is: “Who?” Who are we hoping in? Who holds the best answers to the “what” and “when” questions for our lives? Let’s adopt that simple prayer this week: “Lord, when I don’t know what to do, my hope is not what or when, but YOU.”

No comments:

Post a Comment