Friday, December 18, 2009

Beyond Sunday - Let it be Christmas: I Believe in Yesterday

...by Cindy Barker

Greg asked us to zero in on someone who’s been a bricklayer in your life and to take on the best qualities of who they are. My mom has been a bricklayer in my life.

She has a strong faith in God and has told us many times when faced with problems that God will take care of her. Through the storms of life – tight finances, when my dad was diagnosed with cancer, when he died six years later, the loneliness of being a widow, when two of my nephews died in car accidents, family strife, and a stroke, she held on to that anchor.

Recently in our family we had a situation where someone wronged another and the two have been living with that hurt for the past few years. When I found out about the situation, I was mad at the one who caused the pain. When my mom found out - yes she was upset but one of the first things she said was I wish we had known, we could have been praying.

My daughter, Tara, later told me, “Mom, do you remember when Grandma said I wish we had known, we could have been praying? I love that that was one of her first thoughts.” Tara won’t soon forget that lesson.

Neither will I. I want that quality in my future; where one of my first thoughts is prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment