Wednesday, November 11, 2009

What Are You Reading?

At our ministry staff retreat a few weeks ago, one of our staff members made the simple observation that you can tell a lot about a person based upon the kind of stuff they put on their bookshelf.

I think that there's a lot of truth to that.

I also think that there's a lot of truth in the simple fact that reading can be a great way to cultivate our relationship with Jesus. Of course, the first and foremost book that cultivates your relationship with Jesus is the Bible. It's never a bad idea to start there, and if you're not reading your Bible on a regular basis, I'd definitely encourage you to do so. It will really make a difference in your relationship with Jesus (and in your life).

But what I'd love to know is what are you reading or have read outside the Bible that you feel helped cultivate your walk with Jesus? I'd love to have you comment on this post and share. And in the spirit of sharing, I guess that I will go first by sharing some books I've read that have really helped me in my walk with Jesus.

1. Seeking God's Hidden Face by Cecil Murphey. This was probably the first book I can remember reading that really, truly helped me cultivate a personal relationship with Jesus. I read it when I was 16 and at a really tough time in my life. For the first time in my life as a Christ follower, I felt like God's Spirit and presence had completely left me. I was left asking questions like, "God, do you even exist?" and "Jesus, are you real?" and "Is there something wrong with me? Am I even a Christian anymore?" This utter darkness in my life just came out of seemingly nowhere, and I wasn't ready. People around me thought something terrible was wrong, but I think I was really just going through an important phase in my growth as a believer. Murphey's honesty was of great comfort to me in this time; in fact, I may not even be a Christian today if it weren't for this book. If you're going through a time in your life where you feel God is absent for no reason, you need to read this.

2. The Thomas Factor by Gary Habermas. I read this not too long after the first book. I am a skeptical, doubting type person by nature, and this book helped me to learn how to deal with that. It reminded me that even if I doubt sometimes, it doesn't mean I don't love Jesus. It just means that I'm human. I highly recommend this book if you're a doubting-type like myself. If you're looking for something more like why you should believe, I'd highly recommend The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel.

3. Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller. This was the first book I read that really made me re-think the way I looked at Christian faith. Miller writes from the standpoint of just a regular, honest guy, and I really like that. This book helped me lose some of the baggage I carried with my faith, and to embrace a relationship with Jesus that was open and honest while being grace-filled and loving to the world around me.

4. Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell. This book kind of goes into the Blue Like Jazz category as well; it was just a work that made me re-think what a relationship with God looks like. This book really made me re-think the teachings of Jesus and the kind of life that Jesus asks me to live. While Blue Like Jazz is more of a story, this book is a little more like a message. But seriously, two of the seven chapters in this book were life-changing for me. Maybe they can be for you as well. If you're a big fan of Rob Bell's work with Nooma, you'll love this book.

5. Sex God by Rob Bell. Okay, kind of lame to have two books by the same author on this list, but what can I say? I love Rob Bell. The title of this book implies that it's all about sex, and while sex is definitely a topic of this book, Sex God is more about what makes a good love relationship, whether that be with God, with your spouse/significant other, or just with friends and people in general. Sex God gave me a better idea of what love really looks like, and also helped me to see how sex plays a part in that. Definitely a great read.

6. Crazy Love by Francis Chan. Anyone who reads my blog on a regular basis (so nobody) knows that I pretty much have a (totally platonic) big-time man crush on Francis Chan. I love this guy, mostly because of his incredible heart and because he's a guy with no real personal agenda; he just wants to teach people what the Bible says. If you ever get a chance, watch some of his teaching online from Cornerstone Church in California. You won't be sorry. Anyway, Crazy Love probably wins the award for the "most challenging" book in terms of my relationship with Jesus. Seemingly each chapter hit home with solid, real truth on how in a lot of ways, I've settled for a lukewarm life that only kinda loves Jesus. Crazy Love reminded me in a powerful way that Jesus teaches us to be people who live with a crazy love for Him that shows itself in the way we give, serve, and love other people in all places at all times. This book gave me a real spiritual "kick in the pants," and if that's what you need (or even if you don't think you need that), I'd highly recommend it.

7. Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster. I think I've mentioned it on here before, and I will do so again. This is a great book. It's a study of several spiritual disciplines (like prayer, meditation, fasting, solitude, silence, etc.) that we can use in order to further our relationship with Jesus. Foster gives some great insights on all of these disciplines, and I believe that the practice of all the disciplines in this book will be of great help to any person wanting to cultivate their relationship with Jesus.

So there's a (long) description of some great things I've read to cultivate my faith in Jesus. What are some of yours? I'd love to hear!

wb

No comments:

Post a Comment