Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Beyond Sunday - Passover: “Moses’ Captivity” (West Campus)

...by Kevin DeBraal

Do you ever leave church and think that the sermon was meant for you? It happens to me frequently, I’m guessing for you too. Why? Because we all are human and are susceptible to the deception and temptation of the devil. The messages we hear are reminders of the devil at work in our lives and the struggles he creates for all of us.

Blake Bergstrom did a great job of explaining the challenges the devil creates for us and the response that we frequently make to those challenges. We create our own “prison”, a place we go by addiction, habit or behavior, to escape the pain, guilt and problems that we are suffering. I have mine, I’m sure you know yours. While we feel safe in our escape mode we are really confined and restricted. We don’t live life or face it, we hide from it. We are not free and in our confinement we are separated from God.

The symbolic chains we used to illustrate our prison were a reminder of the restrictions that it creates for us, remember how it felt when you broke your chains in church. The only way to break those chains is through Christ. Through Him we can be free.

Beyond Sunday – what do I take away from this message? I am reminded that I am involved in spiritual warfare, that the devil is actively trying to disrupt my life and separate me from God. I realize that instead of hiding from my problems I need to trust God, go to Him for my refuge and know that He has already saved me.

“Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world.” John 1:29

No comments:

Post a Comment