Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Beyond Sunday - The Waiting Room: Forgotten

...by Kevin McHugh

American society hates to wait for anything. We are a drive-thru, fast food, microwave, credit card culture - at the company I work for, it is considered unacceptable to say that you are waiting for anything. It's no wonder that we struggle with the idea that God might be trying to teach us something or grow us in some way through the very process of waiting.

One of the major points of Greg's teaching is that "When it comes to waiting, I think transaction; God thinks transformation." God wants us to be patient during the time we are waiting, all the while talking to Him and listening for His guidance. The problem for me is that I am basically not a patient person, and the world I live in reinforces speed and waiting is viewed upon as a complete waste of time, so I am taken once again to one of my favorite verses in the Bible.

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will. - Romans 12:2

Patience is tough when we are in a difficult situation and our prayers have not yet been answered. Let's keep talking to God and remain still long enough to feel a response for we may not know how he is working to transform us. When I got home from church, I went and found the Psalm that Dave selected for the communion meditation. It is a good one to mark and return to regularly.

Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him;
do not fret when men succeed in their ways,
when they carry out their wicked schemes.

Refrain from anger and turn from wrath;
do not fret - it leads only to evil.
For evil men will be cut off,
but those who hope in the LORD will inherit the land.

A little while, and the wicked will be no more,
though you look for them, they will not be found.
But the meek will inherit the land
and enjoy great peace. - Psalm 37:7-11

Amen to that!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure that God has great things in store for me and others. I've been waiting so much that it sucks the life out of me. Tears fall so often and I lose sight of who God really is. I know that the Lord has answered so many of my prayers for the good, yet I get stuck in the valley where I just can't seem to see the mountaintop. I know it's there. Pray for me. I really need it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - thanks for responding.

    I sure don't know the situation that has you in waiting mode but rest assured God knows. You are his child and he loves you so please keep talking to him and stay engaged.

    You mentioned God has answered you before on many things - remember that. He is listening now as well.

    I will be praying for you - thank you for asking.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete