Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Some Trust...

I posted about this on my own blog yesterday, but I'd love to go a little more in-depth with it here today.

I don't believe I've shared it on here before, but I have an incredible love for the Fray. I've seen them live in concert 3 times now in my life, and each time was a very enjoyable experience. Really love their sound, and while I don't know any of them personally, I've heard rumors that the guys in the band are all Christ-followers, which if true, would be pretty cool.

But I also love their music. I feel that I can empathize with a lot of the situations they write about. Something about their songwriting seems to really strike a chord with me again and again.

Take a listen to this song, called "Some Trust."


I was casually stumbling through my iTunes library the other day when I came across this little gem. Pretty catchy sounding, which got me listening at first. But then I really listened to what the song was saying, and I was quite floored, mostly because I think that at one time or another, I've been prone to trust in all of those things.

I've trusted in love.

I've trusted in others.

I've trusted only myself.

I've trusted in hate.

But a lot of the time, I haven't placed my trust in God. Granted, I'll have a little trust there, but not all of it like He asks. I'll say I've got all my trust in God, but really I'm putting it all in my possessions, in some girl to make me happy, or in my own talents and abilities. Yeah, I might disguise it as "the words I pray" or "my saving grace" or "my security blanket," but God knows what it really is.

It's the thing I trust in more than Him.

So today's cultivate question is really simple. When the Fray sings that "some trust in (blank)," what goes in your blank?

I think that answer can say a lot about each of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment