Thursday, November 5, 2009

Beyond Sunday - Servolution: the power in everyone

...by Gordon Barker

I don’t know about you, but this Servolution series has really been working on my heart. Service seems to be one of those things that I’m always “going to get to”, but doesn’t happen nearly as often as it should. This series has been loaded with thoughts to push, prompt and hopefully motivate me. Here’s a few of the things I hope to remember and use.

1. Greg’s questions of: What bothers me? What is the thing I cannot not do? What is my passion? He then challenged us to discover, or more likely, remember the answers to these questions. This has made me think a lot about the way I choose to live my life and I have decided it is no longer acceptable for me to hide from the pain in the world.

2. Bobby’s personal interpretation of Jeremiah 22:16: …defend the cause of the poor and needy. Is that not what it means to know the Lord? For me, I know that the next step in my spiritual maturity is to develop a deeper relationship with God, to try and know Him more. Deep thinking is hard work and easy to procrastinate doing (and I am a champion procrastinator). But here is some simple, easy to understand instruction from the Bible. Serve, and you will know the Lord.

3. The interview with Charlie and Lisa: this was awesome! It made me proud of my church and proud to be a follower of Jesus. Charlie’s description of his personal changes over the past 5 years and his heart for service now were inspiring. Lisa’s response of being motivated to serve others because of the service she received.

Now the challenge for me is to serve, I hope you are feeling challenged too.

Ephesians 2:10 For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment