Thursday, October 1, 2009

Beyond Sunday - Thrive: Correcting Course

...by Jo Anne Stas

“The natural drift of our lives is toward the comfortable.” Greg Lee

When I rewind to 2004 and recall my goals like Greg suggested, I think about the goal I had to go back to school. It had been 23 years since I graduated from high school and the prospect of entering college after so long was intimidating. It was certainly more comfortable to keep the status quo and never take the next step, but in 2004 I set aside all my comfortable reasons and enrolled in college. Five years later, I’m still plugging away at my goal and in two years, Lord willing, I should reach my goal. Over the last five years I have had times of doubt as well as times when I wanted to give up. In fact, one semester I did give up, but I got back on the path and kept going. When I think of comfortable I usually associate it with good things and uncomfortable with bad things, however, stepping out of my comfort zone has taught me that when I come out on the other side of my discomfort, I gain something. Whether it is more trust in the Lord to see me through or a character lesson learned such as patience, there is always a gain. No doubt, there are still plenty of areas of my life and plenty of times in my life that I have not stepped out of the comfortable but with each win I can gain a little more confidence to step out again.

Lord, help me to step out on the narrow path even though it may be uncomfortable. Amen

“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.”
Matthew 7:13-14

No comments:

Post a Comment