Thursday, October 8, 2009

Beyond Sunday - Servolution: Get off your but

...by Cindy Barker

Sunday’s message on “get off your but” brought something immediately to my mind. Last week while visiting a girlfriend, I noticed a couple of bags of groceries on her kitchen floor. When I asked her what they were for, she said a mutual friend. This mutual friend has financial difficulties and some problems that I don’t fully understand. I admit that at times I have trouble feeling sorry for him as I feel he should do more to help himself. My girlfriend has expressed these same feelings to me. But while I have approached the situation with a “I see the need but…” she has gone around that but and enlarged her heart for the needs around her. It’s not a large gift, has not taken a lot of her time, and it will not make a difference in a lot of lives. It will however make a difference/impression in the life of her granddaughter who was watching, it will in our mutual friend’s life, and it has in mine.
Greg said that sometimes there is great value, joy, and satisfaction in serving. And sometimes there is great stress and frustration if you feel someone is taking advantage of you. But reaching out is not about our good or bad feelings; it’s just a part of walking with God. I know I have other “buts” to work on besides this one but this one should be easy to work through. Hopefully it will be a step towards being the servant God wants me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment