Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Psalms.

The Psalms are writings in the Bible that are very near and dear to my heart. Chances are that they are probably near and dear to your heart too. Psalm 23 is probably one of the most well-known writings of all time, and has provided comfort for millions, if not billions and trillions of people throughout history. Psalm 51 is a writing that resonates deeply with many in times where they make the realization of the weight of their sin or just feel like they’ve messed up in front of God. In a time of deep sorrow and pain several years ago, Psalm 13 became a real comfort to me... I really resonated with the words that David wrote in that time of his life.

The Psalms are a really cool part of the Bible. They report the innermost thoughts, emotions, and goings on in the life of Godly people. In times of pain, the Book of Psalms is probably one of the most comforting sections of the Bible, if for no other reason than that they remind us there are people who have come before in their relationship with God and have experienced the same doubts, fears, concerns, and anxieties. Sometimes, they lead us into praise because of their beautiful language that they use to extol God because of who He is or what He is doing in the life of the writer.

I guess today’s suggestion from me on how to cultivate your relationship with God here is two-fold. Number one, if you’re in a time of trouble, read the Psalms. I don’t know how to explain it, but there’s just something comforting within those pages, no matter where you are in life.

But secondly, I want to encourage you to compose your own psalm. It can be a psalm of thanksgiving, simply thanking God for the awesome stuff that He’s done in your life recently, or maybe even just because of who God is. Maybe your psalm is a lament psalm; something that questions God and asks where He is. One of the things that’s interesting about lament psalms is that they always end with some sort of call to praise. Maybe you need to say to God that you don’t know what He’s up to or what He’s doing. Maybe you need to ask God for a rescue. But no matter what, you need to praise God. That’s how lament psalms work in the Bible.

Read some of the Psalms. Take a look at how they work for yourself. I promise, they’re easy to understand, to read, and to identify with. And then, write your own psalm. For this moment in my life, here’s mine:

God I come before You and ask You to move.


I am a person who is bent on living in sin, this I know well.


I run from You. I struggle against You. I forsake You.


But God, I know that I need You... in so many different ways.


I need You to work in my heart... to transform me from the inside out.


Lord, I need You to lead me to You and even then, to lead me to respond to You.


I need You to save me from my sin, from my fears, from my doubts, from myself.


Lord, please come quickly and save Your servant.


Lead me and guide me where You want me to be.


Never let me leave Your side.


Be the rock that upholds me, the One that I cling to,


And the fortress that keeps me safe in the midst of the storm.


Comfort me, guide me, and simply be here for me. Don’t stand far off.


Teach me to worship You, to love You, to hope in You.



In the hour of my greatest need, You came.


You answered my prayer, You made things alright.


For this, I will praise You, and I will testify of Your provision for me.


Continue to provide Lord. Continue to guide and lead me.


Do something awesome in my life


So that I can testify of how awesome You are in front of all people.

No comments:

Post a Comment