Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Beyond Sunday - The Perfect* Christmas: Christmas Vacation

...by Bobby Jackson

What a fresh breath of air this series has been for me. In a season where many of us seemed stressed out, did you enjoy laughing as much as I did this week?

And laughter led to reflection as I was challenged this week to answer this tough question, “What do I expect from my God?” Do I expect that He is going to forgive me whenever I ask, that He will support me and make me feel better when I am low, that He will answer my prayers? Should I have expected that Jesus would come to the earth to save me from my sins?
To expect that really puts God into a “You owe me” or “You better deliver” kind of relationship. At best it is a joyless, selfish relationship with little appreciation and feels more like someone fulfilling His side of our contract.

So what can I expect from God? He has promised that He will forgive (1 John 1:9, Psalm 103:12), that He is close to me when I’m down (Psalm 34:18), that He will answer my prayers (John 14:13, 2 Peter 3:9), and that He would come to earth to save me from my sins (Luke 19:10, Philippians 2).

We can expect some things of God, but only because He is like a Father that loves us more than anyone ever could and has chosen to serve rather than be served. I don’t deserve anything but because of His love we can expect a lot of God. In fact, He is able to do immeasurably more than we ask or imagine (Ephesians 3:20).

It’s easy to think of what I expect from God, but maybe the better question is what should He expect of me?

No comments:

Post a Comment