Thursday, December 2, 2010

Beyond Sunday: Jesus is _______: Extreme Forgiver?

...by Kevin McHugh

On my Mother's side of my family I have many Aunts and Uncles; and there are several relationship problems scattered between them. This one Aunt won't speak to another because of something in the sixties. Another one has a different problem with a different one, also from the distant past. My Mom held grudges against several of them; and she occasionally would tell me about her grievances. Well they were not minor, but they were not that awful either, but it seemed nobody was willing to forgive.

Aren't we lucky our God is beyond all that? I have to admit that the enormity of God's capacity to forgive is something that is hard for me to fully understand. My sins are many; I try to do better each day but still fall short each day. Yet I can come to God with faith and sincerity and He will forgive me over and over and over again? Yes He can and He will because of what Jesus did for us!

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." - Romans 5:8

Andy did a beautiful job walking us through Romans 3.

To be righteous means to be in good standing with God - can't we just be totally good on our own? "Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law, rather through the law we become conscious of our sin." - Romans 3:20

So I need a savior, so does everyone reading this. Here's the extreme, yet beautiful truth.

"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." - Romans 3:23-24

Andy, thanks for reminding us about this remarkable truth - my Mom & her sisters can testify how hard it can be for humans to forgive, but our God is so much bigger and provided us all a path through Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment