Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Mentoring.

So just a couple nights ago, I finished writing a paper for one of the classes I am taking this semester, and it was a review of a book called Leaders Everywhere. The book offered up several ideas on developing a leadership culture within churches and ministry, and there were certainly some insights contained within that book that were helpful. One of the key suggestions, though, was that part of being a leader means that you will take upon yourself the responsibility of mentoring others, helping them become leaders.

That made me think about my life. I really wouldn't say I had a mentor in anything really until I came to Suncrest and Bobby sort of took me under his wing and offered up some great mentoring for me which continues to this day. Now, with responsibilities at Highland, I am also thankful that Jared has also taken the initiative to share some insights with me as well. Having these relationships has really helped to supply in me some things that are lacking, and I am very thankful for them.

It sounds strange to really even think about, but I think that entering into a relationship with someone to serve as your mentor can be a very useful and beneficial thing. I know that when I finally let my "I already know it all" attitude of pride melt away and actually entered into these relationships, it started to serve as one of the most useful things for me ever. I think the same can be true for each of us as we try to cultivate a relationship with Jesus. There is something incredibly powerful about us finding people who have gone before or may be a little more experienced on the journey than we are. These are people who can come alongside you, offer some great advice, and be an incredible friend. I truly can't say that enough. It makes a difference to have someone who can help show you the way.

But on the opposite end of the spectrum, I think that there's also incredible power in us choosing to mentor others. I know that my first reaction to hearing something like that is to say, "Who, me? What do I have to offer?" But I think it is an incredibly valuable practice both for the other person and for us. Just as I have freely received advice from mentors, I want to offer it as well when asked. As one of the worship pastors for our campuses, part of my job is to offering mentoring to up and coming leaders and worship leaders. I don't know if I always feel qualified, but I find that oftentimes I walk away from those conversations learning something myself.

After experiencing it myself, I am a big fan of mentoring. I'd highly recommend it to you as well! Take a shot, and learn from someone else on your journey to cultivate a personal relationship with Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment