Friday, August 27, 2010

64. Jesus Heals a Demon-Possessed Man (Mark 5:1-20)

…by Kay Roberts

I have always been intrigued with the paranormal and their stories yet maintain a good healthy respect for what it really is. What amazes me, is each time there is mentioned in the Bible a story demons, is Jesus’ unwavering power and authority. These demons IMMEDIATELY recognize and KNOW who Jesus is and begin to BEG for His mercy. Notice in verse 13 of this passage, “He gave them permission…” Anyone knows that whoever is “granting permission” holds A LOT of authority so as I am reading this, it causes me to sit up and pay attention. What I am really thinking is that this Jesus is real because even the demons BELIEVE HIM to be God!!! So I should not dismiss Him or what He has to say or even what He can DO! He comes with power and authority. This is not a weak man.

As I continue through the reading, I come to the end where Jesus tells this man to go home and talk about all that the Lord has done for him after he has asked to go with Jesus. What do you think he shared with the people in Decapolis? What were his thoughts and emotions while being possessed? Once again, I am intrigued! His life has been RADICALLY changed and here are some cues we can glean from the passage about his former life:

1. He lived in the tombs. (Ewww! I don’t want to be living at the cemetery, do you???)

2. He lived alone. (How sad!)

3. No one could bind him because he broke EVEN the iron chains that bound him hand and feet. (This is code for NO ONE COULD HELP HIM!!!)

4. He cried out, night and day and CUT himself with STONES.(Seriously, that sounds painful…)

His radical change of life goes from one of extreme solitude and pain and things incomprehensible to us, to one of being HOME with his family (can you imagine the celebration of his return?!), being in his RIGHT mind, being in CONTROL of his body and simply being able to LIVE.

A couple things strike me:

1. This man does not hesitate to go and do what Jesus has asked.

2. I should be doing the same thing, sharing with everyone I know what Jesus has done for me!

We all have been radically changed by Jesus. We all have similar stories. The way we USED to be to the way we are now. This is why Jesus came. To radically change lives.

What’s your story? How has Jesus radically changed your life? Are you sharing your story of a radically changed life?

No comments:

Post a Comment