Tuesday, August 10, 2010

52. Gabriel's Message: Luke 1:1-80

…by Kay Roberts

As I have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of husband to come home from his 13 day work stint in Michigan, I reflected on the idea of waiting. I don’t like to wait: for my husband to return home, in lines anywhere, for test results, for Christmas, my coffee …you fill-in the blank here. I can’t think of one person who likes waiting! Yet, as the we begin reading this passage today, we have had the fortunate advantage of fast forwarding through the waiting part of history…God’s story to us. Gabriel’s message to Zechariah and Elizabeth, and Mary is the first time in 400 years that God has spoken to mankind. You did catch that, right? 400 YEARS! No waaaaay! I can’t wait 5 minutes for my coffee to brew let alone 400 years to hear from God! But that is where we find ourselves today in our reading. God has broken the silence and with that He sends Gabriel, His messenger, to announce of the coming and arrival of the loooong awaited Messiah. Well, not really announcing yet. More like getting His game-players ready and moving them into place for the ULTIMATE play of the game. It’s all unfolding right before our very eyes!

To be used by God for such an indescribable moment, I am rendered speechless. I am thinking, who am I Lord, that you would chose not ONLY to speak to me after this long awaited silence, but to USE me in such a significant and profound way?! UH,uh. No way. I am completely unworthy. Yet, somehow, I imagine that Mary and Elizabeth and Zechariah felt similarly which is probably the very real reason God chose them! Humbled, and honored.

Jesus did come to earth. He is alive today! He lives in each of us who call HIM Lord and Savior and I am sooooo thankful for Gabriel’s message and God’s unwavering FAITHFULNESS to His plan for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment