Monday, October 11, 2010

96. A Voice and a Vision (Revelation 1:1-20).

by Wesley Blackburn

Revelation is an incredible book of the Bible, and without a doubt, one of the most hotly disputed. I'm really looking forward to you all getting to hear some of Steve and Beka's thoughts later on this week about it, but in kicking our brief jaunt through this book, I just wanted to note a couple of things in my reading of Revelation 1.

#1. Jesus comes on the clouds. At least, that's what it says in verse 7. Christ will come on the clouds. This is significant for a few reasons, probably the most important being that this is Messianic-type imagery. In other words, Jesus being this figure who comes on the clouds is something that is actually a fulfillment of an Old Testament prophecy and actually makes a statement about his lordship.

But I also think that there's a real significance to the fact that Jesus is portrayed coming on clouds in a somewhat metaphorical sense as well. In a time in my life several years ago where God seemed really distant, my friend Brent shared with me Revelation 1:7 and shared that he felt there was symbolic truth there pointing to the simple fact that when the clouds and storms of life come, there we often find Jesus as well. In that point in my life, I was in great pain emotionally and spiritually, but it brought me comfort to think that in the midst of that "cloud" in my life, there was Jesus. He was coming right alongside. And he would use this situation for his glory and purposes.

#2. John was listening for the call of the Spirit. The book of Revelation was actually a letter written by the disciple John, explaining a vision that he had of the end days. This letter would then be sent to several different churches in order to offer some hope and encouragement that in the end, God wins. We have nothing to fear.

But what kind of struck me was the fact that John was truly listening for what God was seeking to do in his life. Could you imagine what would have happened if God gave John a vision, but he simply ignored it or chalked it up to just being some weird dream? John was sensitive to what God was wanting to say to him, and out of that sensitivity to the Holy Spirit, I believe we find the book of Revelation.

So many times, I think that we totally miss what God is trying to do in our lives. We don't find him, often because we aren't looking for him. Of course, you could take that too far, trying to find God giving you some special message in everything, which is probably just as dangerous a habit to get into. But I just wonder how many things I potentially miss, not because God isn't speaking, but because I'm not listening. I don't want to miss out on what God wants to say. And that means having a receptive and open heart that's looking and waiting for God to speak at any moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment