Thursday, May 20, 2010

Beyond Sunday - TXT: How to Read your Bible - The Endurance

...by Michael Switzer

Principles: Pace (slow down) and Posture (expect a word from God). These are important to keep in mind when reading the Bible and especially important when living everyday life. How different would my life be if I just slowed down (to thoroughly understand) and expected God?

Technicals: Context, Author’s Intent, Background, Key Words, Genre

It seems like it would be easier to have such a laser focus if my earthly job involved working directly with the scriptures and directly with advancing the kingdom. Doesn’t it? Sometimes I can’t help but to think ‘if I was just a pastor or I just had a different job –one that allows me to spend more time with Christ – I’d be more confident not to lose focus.’ It’s probably easy for most of us (it certainly is for me) to lose ourselves in our work and even lose ourselves in our life. I don’t want to lose focus on my greater purpose and mission. How does one place proper context around his or her earthly job? On Sunday, Greg reminded me that, although my life and my job are important in their own rite, my focus is not my own stomach or lifestyle or status. My focus is responding to the responsibility I (we) have to the knowledge we’ve been blessed with. It’s so easy to continually want the next accomplishment or to develop the next greatest concept or to attain the next level of social status. Reminders like that of this last Sunday give me a sense of calming in with respect to my earthly job (i.e., do well in my job but it’s definitely not the end-all nor is it even the means to.) In addition to the calming, a renewed sense of responsibility and conviction press on my heart. After all, I find I’m most in tuned with the mission of my life and can frame my daily activities more properly when I’m relaxed and not completely caught up in myself and the expectations of others.

How do we endure through this life? The future is heaven. Forgetting what is behind and striving for the future is how I’m going to endure this life. I’m not a football fan but I know enough about it to know that Peyton Manning has ‘Laser focus’ when he’s on the field. Single mindedness in the context of our mission: Keep in mind the ‘playing field’ and all activity going on around us to make the best decisions in accordance with the end goal in mind while being aware of unimportant, misguiding, or distracting things regarded as a primary focus.

We’re responsible for what we know. “Live up to what we already know and live out what we have already learned. We do not have to be sidetracked by an unending search for truth.” I’m making an effort this week to be more relaxed in my job and not be so caught up in myself. Live and read with a posture that anticipates God’s word. I’m grateful for knowledge and this week will be time to reflect on how it can be better focused and used for missions bigger than myself.

What a powerful book. All this in 11 verses!

No comments:

Post a Comment