Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Beyond Sunday: Thrive-Reality Check

...by Randy Parish

Can you ever really be prepared for disaster to strike in your life? I think we can run on autopilot when things are going good. We are just along for the ride, enjoying the scenery. Maybe in the back of our mind we entertain the thought of darker days ahead, but hey, things are good now, why worry? I can skip my bible reading today. I don’t really have time to pray today, maybe tomorrow, things are fine anyway. We let the relationship we have with God slip a little. Then comes the doctor visit we weren’t expecting. The diagnosis that showed no symptoms. We’re doing the fine balancing act of being one unexpected bill away from serious financial problems, and then the company has a layoff. The worry builds up along with the stress and we go into survival mode. Philippians 4:4 says “Rejoice in the Lord, always”. How can I rejoice? Paul doesn’t know what I’m going through. Paul doesn’t say to rejoice in your situation, he says: Rejoice in the Lord.
Scott Coons summed it up about losing his job when he talked about not being defined by his job. We are not what our situation is. We need to keep striving in our relationship with God in the good times, so we can be stronger through the tough times. We all face tough times and if you haven’t, you will. We need to focus on the peace of God and not on any peace that may come from a life without trouble.
Did you notice anyone standing beside you on Sunday who raised their hand when Greg talked about those who have experienced the peace of God? Ask them about it. I’m sure they would tell you their story. As Greg said, left to our own devices, we just survive, with God’s peace, we can thrive.

1 comment:

  1. I was reading this morning Psm 3:4
    " I cried unto the Lord and He heard me.
    I laid down to sleep and slept for He sustained me."
    Thank God for the many times He has given me peace when I could not find peace. With God's peace I will thrive

    ReplyDelete